2017 was marked by many interesting and significant events for Switzerland. They relate to science, culture, and the social life of the country, and have become important and notable for both Switzerland and for Ukraine.
1. We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of Ukraine-Switzerland diplomatic relations in 2017. Both sides undoubtedly appreciate well-established and lasting relationships.
Cooperation with Switzerland is one of the priority geopolitical directions for Ukraine.
2. Switzerland won the prize in the ranking of the Davos Economic Forum “Global Competitiveness Index” again in 2017. Switzerland has occupied leading positions for the last 10 years.
3. Half-century has passed from the date when the first in Switzerland ATM was put into operation in Zurich. Each bank client then, in the distant 1967, could withdraw up to 200 francs in cash any time round the clock. A bank card of that time significantly differed from the one that we have today. It resembled a sort of punched card. Such a service became available throughout Switzerland in 1968.
4. 170 years have passed since the Civil War in Switzerland. According to historical sources, the main reason of this war was a religious issue, and its consequence was the modern political construction of the country — Confederation.
5. An international team of researchers under the chairmanship of Michael Krudsen, the scientist from Zurich, discovered a new species of apes. Since then, the seventh species has joined the six existing.
6. Nobel Prize 2017 for the development of cryoelectronic microscopy (chemistry) was received by Jacob Deboshe along with two other scientists from other countries.
7. Ukraine is not alone in its difficult reform trials. The Swiss voted on a nationwide referendum in September 2017 and rejected the reform project of the first level of the Swiss pension system. The last pension reform in the country was held in 1997.
8. The first national “Digital Day” in Switzerland was on the 21st of November. His goal is to outline the prospects and assess the potential of the innovative economy in the digital world. Nearly forty Swiss universities and institutes opened their doors to those who want to discover the world of a digital economy. Almost all of the country’s railway stations have become an arena for the exchange of digital experiences between industry, representatives of political structures and business circles.
9. The world celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and Switzerland is not an exception, as the reformation movement moved very quickly to Switzerland of that time and was supported by the thinking community of the country. Luther’s ideas encouraged progressive reformers in Switzerland and caused a wave of indignation at the actions of the Catholic Church and its position in society.
10. One of the streets of the Israeli city RishonLeZion was named after the Swiss Paul Grüninger, who was the chief of police of one of the Swiss cantons. In March 1938, after Anschluss, many
Jewish refugees from Austria tried to find refuge in Switzerland. But in March 1938, the Swiss government announced that “the ship was full,” and officially closed the country’s borders to the victims of Nazism. Paul Grüninger was a head of the Swiss Border Guard Service at that time. He rescued more than 3,600 Jewish refugees from Austria by issuing entry documents against the official order of the government.
OPEC + member states have agreed to increase oil production by 400,000 bpd per month from August. This is stated in a press release from OPEC. It is noted that the OPEC + countries will seek to eliminate the current restrictions in September 2022. Thus in December, 2021 the estimation of the market is given. […]
Poland and Denmark have solved problems related to the construction of the Baltic Pipe gas pipeline. The representative of the Polish government on strategic energy infrastructure Petro Naimski announced this on Polish Radio. “An agreement has been reached and work has resumed,” he said. Currently, the laying of 100 km of offshore section of the […]
Former head of Ukrzaliznytsia Volodymyr Zhmak filed a lawsuit demanding that the company’s order to terminate his employment contract be declared illegal. This was reported by Interfax-Ukraine with reference to the materials of the court proceedings №2 / 761/9699/2021, which were published in the Unified Register of Court Decisions. Zhmak asks to reinstate him as […]
In France, the antitrust regulator has fined Google € 500 million, according to the regulator’s press service. “The regulator has fined the company for non-compliance with several court rulings issued in April 2020,” the statement said. Agence France-Presse writes that the fine was imposed for “the corporation did not properly negotiate with the publishers of […]
The offices and apartments of the A-95 consulting group were searched on Tuesday, July 13. The company’s director Serhiy Kuyun connects them with exposing materials about the BRSM-nafta gas station network. “Today in our apartments and the office of the consulting group A-95 were searched, equipment was seized. The last thing they said:” The police […]
Boeing has identified the need to refine the 787 Dreamliner aircraft, which are awaiting delivery to customers – it will take some time. This is stated in the company’s quarterly report. Production of the Boeing 787 will be less than five units per month for some time and will gradually return to a monthly level […]
During the first six months of 2021, the Ministry of Finance attracted UAH 257.8 billion in loans or 76.6% of the plan from the state budget. This was reported on the website of the department on Friday, July 2. UAH 211.4 billion was attracted to the budget from the placement of IGLBs, including UAH 59.7 […]
Russia’s gas monopoly Gazprom has not booked capacity at annual auctions through Poland and Ukraine. It is noted that the auctions were held on the booking platforms GSA Platform and Regional Booking Platform. The operator of the gas transmission system of Ukraine exhibited additional “solid” capacities of 9.8 million cubic meters m per day for […]
TikTok and one of its employees sued the administration of US President Donald Trump on Monday, because of his decree of a banning video service transactions in the United States, calling it a reason to incite anti-Chinese rhetoric as he seeks to win the election. TikTok Company of Culver City, California, and its Chinese parent […]Next
Gazprom can circumvent European restrictions on the Nord Stream-2 gas pipeline through a contract for gas supplies to the German market, which it has concluded with the Austrian company OMV. As we know, the EU gas directive requires half of the capacity of gas pipelines to be provided to independent suppliers. Except for routes for […]Next
The cryptocurrency Dogecoin, which contains an image of a dog shiba-inu, on Monday, February 8, reached a record high after billionaire Elon Musk, rapper Snoop Dogg and bassist Kiss Gene Simmons wrote about it on Twitter, according to Bloomberg. Thus, according to the CoinGecko platform, the value of the token rose to a peak of […]Next
Polish oil and gas company PGNiG has postponed the start of gas exploration in Ukraine to the first half of 2021, said the head of the company Jerzy Kwentczycki. “PGNiG also intends to participate more actively in projects related to hydrocarbon production in Ukraine. The company plans to start exploring of the natural gas in […]Next
Ukrainian restaurateurs cannot share the trademark Oliva. The former partners, Dmitry Plyatsuk the owner of marks Viva Oliva and Yuriy Kolesnik he owner of Oliva served counterclaims to revoke the trademark of the competitor. January, 20 Solomenskiy District Court of Kiev will consider the claim of Viva Oliva to the Ukrainian Institute of Intellectual Property […]Next
Airbus has published detailed information of three conceptual of the passenger`s plane called ZEROe with hydrogen fuel, stating that it can be put into operation by 2035. The three aircraft differ in size and design, one will have a range of more than 2,000 nautical miles and the ability to carry from 120 to 200 […]Next
The Supreme Court did not satisfy the cassation appeal of Sberbank of Russia and recognized the Ukrainian state Оschadbank as the legal owner of the Sberbank trademark in the country. “The Supreme Court did not find grounds to satisfy the cassation appeal of Sberbank of Russia and upheld the decision of the Northern Commercial Court […]Next
During trading on Thursday, Apple’s market of the capitalization fell by 8%, which means a loss of almost $ 180 billion. This is a record daily cost reduction for any company in the history of the American market. However, Apple’s capitalization still significantly exceeds of $ 2 trillion. Excluding 2020, the previous anti-record was set […]Next
Quotes of some international banks began to fall after the leakage of FinCEN files. This was reported by the publication Ukrainian Capital with reference to the auction data. The files contain information on suspicious transactions worth $ 2 trillion through the world’s largest banks. Shares of Deutsche Bank, which, according to FinCEN files, conducted transactions […]Next
JPMorgan shares increased because of the announcement of financial results for the 2nd quarter ended on June 30. Since the beginning of the year, JPMorgan shares have lost almost 30% because the global COVID-19 pandemic has hit the global economy, and the US Federal Reserve has cut rates to zero greatly reducing the profitability of […]Next
The District Court of Zaporizhia refused Sberbank in approval of decision of Russian curt about enforcing recovery of debts in $ 10.4 million from the Ukrainian metallurgical combine “Zaporizhstal”, reports RIA “Novosti”. The court’s decision stated that on January 25, Sberbank of Russia appealed to the Court of Zaporizhia with a statement to allow the […]Next
Hungarian airline Wizz Air reduces the number of flights from Ukraine in the winter flight schedule. This was reported by lowcostavia. Dozens of flights from Ukraine were reduced – 12 routes are canceled by March 2021, even more destinations are temporarily suspended until the end of October. Flights from all cities of Ukraine have changed. […]Next
International Court of Arbitration in New York in a dispute between the UMH – the Ukrainian publisher of “Forbes Ukraine” magazine, and the Forbes Media, LLC American publishing house ruled in favor of the latter on April, 20, and revoked the license of Forbes Ukraine, said in Forbes Media, LLC to the publication LІGA.net UMH […]Next
The average salary of one member of the Board of Ukrzaliznytsia in 2020 reached UAH 20.8 million per year, and one member of the Supervisory Board – UAH 4 million, which is twice less than in 2019. This follows from the company’s financial report for 2020. “The leading management is the Board of JSC Ukrzaliznytsia […]Next
Shares of BlackBerry jumped sharply on auction on December 1 after the news of a partnership with Amazon Web Service. TechCrunch writes that together they will develop and sell a service for connected cars – IVY platform. Stock quotes at the beginning of trading on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) rose by 35%. The […]Next
In 2021, NJSC Naftogaz of Ukraine expects to receive UAH 121,808 million in net sales revenue. This is stated in the explanatory note to the draft order of the Cabinet of Ministers on the approval of the financial plan of the NJSC. According to the document, the net profit is planned at 2,435 million hryvnias. […]Next