2017 was marked by many interesting and significant events for Switzerland. They relate to science, culture, and the social life of the country, and have become important and notable for both Switzerland and for Ukraine.
1. We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of Ukraine-Switzerland diplomatic relations in 2017. Both sides undoubtedly appreciate well-established and lasting relationships.
Cooperation with Switzerland is one of the priority geopolitical directions for Ukraine.
2. Switzerland won the prize in the ranking of the Davos Economic Forum “Global Competitiveness Index” again in 2017. Switzerland has occupied leading positions for the last 10 years.
3. Half-century has passed from the date when the first in Switzerland ATM was put into operation in Zurich. Each bank client then, in the distant 1967, could withdraw up to 200 francs in cash any time round the clock. A bank card of that time significantly differed from the one that we have today. It resembled a sort of punched card. Such a service became available throughout Switzerland in 1968.
4. 170 years have passed since the Civil War in Switzerland. According to historical sources, the main reason of this war was a religious issue, and its consequence was the modern political construction of the country — Confederation.
5. An international team of researchers under the chairmanship of Michael Krudsen, the scientist from Zurich, discovered a new species of apes. Since then, the seventh species has joined the six existing.
6. Nobel Prize 2017 for the development of cryoelectronic microscopy (chemistry) was received by Jacob Deboshe along with two other scientists from other countries.
7. Ukraine is not alone in its difficult reform trials. The Swiss voted on a nationwide referendum in September 2017 and rejected the reform project of the first level of the Swiss pension system. The last pension reform in the country was held in 1997.
8. The first national “Digital Day” in Switzerland was on the 21st of November. His goal is to outline the prospects and assess the potential of the innovative economy in the digital world. Nearly forty Swiss universities and institutes opened their doors to those who want to discover the world of a digital economy. Almost all of the country’s railway stations have become an arena for the exchange of digital experiences between industry, representatives of political structures and business circles.
9. The world celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and Switzerland is not an exception, as the reformation movement moved very quickly to Switzerland of that time and was supported by the thinking community of the country. Luther’s ideas encouraged progressive reformers in Switzerland and caused a wave of indignation at the actions of the Catholic Church and its position in society.
10. One of the streets of the Israeli city RishonLeZion was named after the Swiss Paul Grüninger, who was the chief of police of one of the Swiss cantons. In March 1938, after Anschluss, many
Jewish refugees from Austria tried to find refuge in Switzerland. But in March 1938, the Swiss government announced that “the ship was full,” and officially closed the country’s borders to the victims of Nazism. Paul Grüninger was a head of the Swiss Border Guard Service at that time. He rescued more than 3,600 Jewish refugees from Austria by issuing entry documents against the official order of the government.
Company representatives, who engaged in the design, construction and equipment for solar power plants, note a significant decline in demand for their services. This is due to instability of the industry and growing debts for “green” electricity. “We are talking about 1260 MW of RES generation that has been launched in the first three quarters […]
Tesla CEO Elon Musk wants to turn the Tesla plant near Berlin into the world’s largest factory for the production of batteries for electric vehicles. The businessman stated this on Tuesday, November 24, speaking via video link at the European Conference of Battery Manufacturers. The plant near Berlin will be one of a kind as […]
Shares of US electric car manufacturer Tesla continue to rise sharply amid news of the company’s future accession to the S&P index. On Tuesday, November 24, the market value of Elon Musk’s company crossed the $ 500 billion mark for the first time. Tesla shares are said to have risen nearly 550 percent this year, […]
The Dow Jones and S&P 500 stocks hit record highs on Tuesday, November 24 amid official news of the transfer of power in the United States and progress in the development of coronavirus vaccines. In particular, the Dow Jones industrial index rose by 1.5% and for the first time in history exceeded 30,000 points. According […]
The international company Strauss Group is one of the largest coffee manufacturers in the world. They put into operation a warehouse and distribution center on the street in the third quarter of 2020. It’s located on Novopyrohivska str, 56a in the Holosiivskyi district of Kyiv. “An innovative distribution center opened in Ukraine in the third […]
Last week, from November 16 to 22, more than 4 million people in the world became infected with the new type of coronavirus, which is a record number since the beginning of the pandemic. This was announced on Tuesday, November 24, the press service of the World Health Organization. According to the WHO, in these […]
Zaporizhzhya NPP connected Unit №2 to the power system of Ukraine. This was reported by the press service of NNEGC Energoatom. “On November 22 at 9:07 pm, after the completion of the average planned and preventive repairs, Unit №2 of Zaporizhzhya NPP is connected to the power system. Power is being set. There are no […]
This week, IBM announced two acquisitions in the field of cloud computing: financial and analytical IT company TruQua Enterprises and software company Instana. The financial terms of the two agreements were not disclosed. On Monday, IBM announced the acquisition of TruQua, which provides SAP solutions to Fortune 500 companies. SAP is one of the world’s […]
Commodity Futures Trading Commission USA announced the application of penalties in respect of the American division of the oil company Total. The company is accused of fraud in the gas market in the USA, in an attempt to carry out manipulations with the index monthly gas prices in Houston and other markets in the United […]Next
Shares of Lyft, which fell 16.2% since the beginning of the year but jumped 37.4% over the past week, rose 5.8% amid investor reaction to the company’s quarterly report. Lyft reported a loss for the third quarter (ended September 30) at $ 1.46, which is worse than analysts’ forecasts at – $ 0.91 loss per […]Next
Recently, it was reported that the largest Romanian company Antibiotice is going to expand the scope of activities, and to develop a pharmaceutical market in Ukraine. According to the informed sources, the first office of the Romanian pharmaceutical company Antibiotice will be opened in the Vinnitsa region. This was agreed between the Antibiotice CEO and […]Next
LDaily prepared the short overview of latest news in the sphere of business and finance for last week for the readers. If you missed something, it would a good opportunity to correct it. 1. Yaroslav Gregirchak: «Ukraine has to look as a competitive option for investment in the “supermarket” of national jurisdiction» A shoppy talk […]Next
Tesla Inc. paid its chairman and founder, Elon Musk, $ 3 million in compensation for D&O insurance to defend, settle disputes, or make court decisions. This was reported by Insurance Business. This insurance covers the expenses of the members of the board of directors, which are not included in the general expenses of the top […]Next
Chinese companies continue to actively increase their presence in the business world. Recently it became known that the company Dalian Wanda Group, which specializes in the construction of residential and commercial property, acquires the major USA cinema-company Legendary Entertainment for $ 4 billion. After the implementation of the agreement, most of the shares will pass […]Next
The Council of the European Union approved funding in the amount of 87.4 billion euro for the Member States in the form of the loans under the SURE – temporary EU instruments to reduce the risk of unemployment during the pandemic coronavirus COVID-19. This support should help for the Member States to finance sharp increase […]Next
March, 14 Kyiv District Administrative Court declared illegal inactivity of the regulator in relation to the “Ukrgazprombank”, which was declared insolvent in 2015, and now goes into liquidation. The lawsuit was filed by one of the contributors of the Ukrgazprombank – “Trading House Sanko” LLC , writes the FinClub. In August 2014 the company has […]Next
Russian operator MegaFon made a deal with Mail.ru shareholders to acquire a controlling stake shares of the corporation. According to official information, the purchase of securities was effected by signing the agreements with companies such as New Media and Technology Investment LP, New Media Technologies Capital Partners Limited and Ardoe Finance Limited, who are the […]Next
Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine has fined Ukrkurier in the amount of 430 thousand UAH for providing false information. On it informs Interfax Ukraine with reference to official information of regulator. According to the original source, it is talking about a flawed formulation that representatives of the company use on its official website in the description […]Next
The Government of Canada and, directly, the municipality of the largest city Toronto will help to improve automotive industry Honda. This information is provided by investment portal InVenture Ukraine. It is known that the forward Japanese manufacturer of motorcycles and automobiles will invest in their businesses in the central Canadian provinces – Ontario (Mr. Elliston) […]Next
IPO Snowflake, which will take place on the NYSE, will be held at the higher price than announced in early September. On Monday, according to SEC applications, Snowflake, a company that makes storage software, raised its projected stock price to $ 100- $ 110, while the market valuation of the company could grow to $ […]Next
«Syutkin & Partners» Law Firm prepared a new series of programs “CAPITAL”. The “CAPITAL” discusses topical issues of big business in today’s economic climate: tax audits, economic crimes, corporate conflicts, etc. You will hear the views of industry experts and recommendations of specialized lawyers. Qualitative law business support will save and increase your capital. The […]Next
Against the background of recent events, the issue of nationalization of enterprises in Ukraine is currently discussed with enviable activity. Even those citizens for whom this issue is not a subject of personal interest, were involved in some sort of discourse on the advantages and disadvantages of this process. What is the sense of nationalization, […]Next
S&P Investment Risk Management Agency launched a legal portal Lawyer.ua 5 years ago. It was designed as an innovative online-platform for lawyers’ communication and for all who needed legal assistance. Experts now can effectively provide legal services in personal online-cabinets while clients can get qualified legal assistance promptly. Today, Lawyer.ua has grown into a large-scale […]Next
According to the statement of the new management of the Creative company was opened a criminal proceeding for illegal withdrawal of the group’s assets. It is reported by the “Ukrainian News”. In February 2016 Holosiivskyi District Court of Kiev ordered the freezing of assets of the companies “Protein-Production”, “League” and “Yagotynske HPP”. Seizure of assets […]Next