2017 was marked by many interesting and significant events for Switzerland. They relate to science, culture, and the social life of the country, and have become important and notable for both Switzerland and for Ukraine.
1. We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of Ukraine-Switzerland diplomatic relations in 2017. Both sides undoubtedly appreciate well-established and lasting relationships.
Cooperation with Switzerland is one of the priority geopolitical directions for Ukraine.
2. Switzerland won the prize in the ranking of the Davos Economic Forum “Global Competitiveness Index” again in 2017. Switzerland has occupied leading positions for the last 10 years.
3. Half-century has passed from the date when the first in Switzerland ATM was put into operation in Zurich. Each bank client then, in the distant 1967, could withdraw up to 200 francs in cash any time round the clock. A bank card of that time significantly differed from the one that we have today. It resembled a sort of punched card. Such a service became available throughout Switzerland in 1968.
4. 170 years have passed since the Civil War in Switzerland. According to historical sources, the main reason of this war was a religious issue, and its consequence was the modern political construction of the country — Confederation.
5. An international team of researchers under the chairmanship of Michael Krudsen, the scientist from Zurich, discovered a new species of apes. Since then, the seventh species has joined the six existing.
6. Nobel Prize 2017 for the development of cryoelectronic microscopy (chemistry) was received by Jacob Deboshe along with two other scientists from other countries.
7. Ukraine is not alone in its difficult reform trials. The Swiss voted on a nationwide referendum in September 2017 and rejected the reform project of the first level of the Swiss pension system. The last pension reform in the country was held in 1997.
8. The first national “Digital Day” in Switzerland was on the 21st of November. His goal is to outline the prospects and assess the potential of the innovative economy in the digital world. Nearly forty Swiss universities and institutes opened their doors to those who want to discover the world of a digital economy. Almost all of the country’s railway stations have become an arena for the exchange of digital experiences between industry, representatives of political structures and business circles.
9. The world celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and Switzerland is not an exception, as the reformation movement moved very quickly to Switzerland of that time and was supported by the thinking community of the country. Luther’s ideas encouraged progressive reformers in Switzerland and caused a wave of indignation at the actions of the Catholic Church and its position in society.
10. One of the streets of the Israeli city RishonLeZion was named after the Swiss Paul Grüninger, who was the chief of police of one of the Swiss cantons. In March 1938, after Anschluss, many
Jewish refugees from Austria tried to find refuge in Switzerland. But in March 1938, the Swiss government announced that “the ship was full,” and officially closed the country’s borders to the victims of Nazism. Paul Grüninger was a head of the Swiss Border Guard Service at that time. He rescued more than 3,600 Jewish refugees from Austria by issuing entry documents against the official order of the government.
Facebook is considering the introduction of face recognition technology in smart glasses, which is currently working, writes CNBC, citing the words of the head of hardware Andrew Bosworth. According to him, this feature can be added if customers need it. He added that if people do not need this technology, then use it in the […]
The new Ukrainian low-cost carrier Bees Airline registered its first two aircraft in Ukraine – a Boeing 737-800. “This is a Boeing 737-800 with flight numbers of the Ukrainian register UR-UBA and UR-UBB. The State Aviation Service issued registration certificates for them on February 22 and 23, 2021,” the statement reads. It is noted that […]
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has warned investors against buying the cryptocurrency Bitcoin. Bloomberg reports. “If you have less money than Ilona [Mask], you probably need to be careful. Ilon has a lot of money and he’s very advanced, so I’m not worried that his bitcoins will rise and fall chaotically,” Gates said. Gates fears that […]
The National Commission for the State Regulation of Communication and Informatization has reduced the inter-operator tariff. The NCCIR press service reports. From July 1, 2021, market participants will pay 7 kopecks per minute of outgoing call for a local call and 10 kopecks for long distance. Moreover, from January 1, 2022, rates will reduce to […]
This year, the state enterprise Antonov is preparing an order for four An-74 aircraft. Deputy Prime Minister – Minister for Strategic Industries Oleg Urusky, stated this. “In order for our aviation industry to function properly, we must talk about dozens of orders. In addition, this year we are preparing an order for four An-74 aircraft. […]
Ukraine can start production of small modular reactors (MMR). Negotiations are underway between the Ministry of Energy and the Czech concern Witkowitz, according to the press service of the agency on Facebook. So far, the parties have agreed to exchange information and set up a working group to further work on the issue. Deputy Minister […]
During the week, foreigners bought Ukrainian government bonds by UAH 2.844 billion, increasing the share of non-residents to UAH 102.864 billion, which is 10% of the total volume of IGLBs. The press service of the Ministry of Finance reports. Ukrainian banks remain the largest owners of IGLBs with a total share of 51.17%. During the […]
The GTS of Ukraine operator has concluded an agreement on the diagnostics of the country’s main gas pipelines with the Swiss company ROSEN Europe B.V. “The agreement provides for the inspection of more than 4.5 thousand km of main gas pipelines with a diameter of 1,400 mm with a deadline of the end of 2024. […]
Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine has fined Ukrkurier in the amount of 430 thousand UAH for providing false information. On it informs Interfax Ukraine with reference to official information of regulator. According to the original source, it is talking about a flawed formulation that representatives of the company use on its official website in the description […]Next
In 2017, stops its work another bank in Ukraine. This is the PJSC Bank Trust . The decision on liquidation of the financial institution was taken on December 29th at the meeting of the National Bank of Ukraine. Information about this was also posted on the official resource of Guarantee Fund deposits of natural persons. […]Next
The Economic court of Vinnytsia region decided to recognise the Rosinka Kiev plant of the Dewdrop soft drinks entity as the bankrupt. The information on preliminary judicial review had been posted on the Court solutions register website with links to the corresponding court orders. The majority of them is a credits payment liability. There is […]Next
In the 9th year AD, the Roman proconsul Publius Quinctilius Varus returned to the German provinces with three legions to suppress the rebellion of the tribe. He did it successfully three years earlier – but this time, the enemy has decided to change strategy, and the legions were destroyed. Last cry of Varus is known […]Next
The Swiss government has signed an agreement with the American biotechnology company Moderna, which will provide the country with early access to the coronavirus vaccine. Under the agreement, Switzerland will receive 4.5 million doses of the vaccine. Following this news, Moderna shares on the market on August 7 increased by 1.68% and reached $ 75. […]Next
The stevedoring company “Brooklyn-Kiev” is going to invest $ 200 million in the construction of a grain terminal in the port of Ilyichivsk. This is stated in the message of the seaport. “Brooklyn-Kyiv” emphasizes that the company comes into the port of Illichivsk not only with the investments, but also with its know-how in the […]Next
Recently resolved a long legal battle between the two eternal rivals -Samsung Electronics Co. and Apple Inc. December 4, 2015 in the US District Court in San Jose, California, Samsung representatives said that they will pay Apple compensation in the amount of $548 million in the case of patent rights. This amount today suits both […]Next
To get the next tranche of credit from its main creditor – the IMF, Ukraine should solve the issue of adopting a law which provides the demonopolization of the alcohol industry. This information was published by the head of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine Taras Kutovyi on his Facebook profile. The adoption of […]Next
The Supreme Court declared Astra Bank insolvent, the press service of the National Bank reports. By its decision, the Supreme Court overturned the decisions of the Kyiv District Administrative Court and the Sixth Administrative Court of Appeal, which found the central bank’s actions illegal. The NBU reminded that Astra Bank is the only bank that […]Next
Today the commercial real estate market is experiencing not its best times. Expectations of both demand and supply growth, and, indirectly, the expectation of economic growth in general are the overall trends of recent years. Current market situation and perspectives Retail turnover for the last year amounted to 1 trillion 159 billion and 271 million […]Next
The Swiss construction company Bruenig Mega Safe AG offered the rich to save their money in a storage carved into alpine rocks. It is reported that the company plans to use space in the mountains equivalent to ten football fields to create a storage. The warehouses will have a volume of 100 cubic meters and […]Next
Shares of Visa, which rose 4.7% since the beginning of the year and recovered almost all losses in February and March, which decreased after the publication of the financial report for the 3rd quarter, that ended on June 30. Income per share of Visa in the 3rd quarter decreased from 23% to $ 1.06, which, […]Next
Beijing believes that the terms of the agreement of selling the US division of TikTok to Oracle and Walmart threaten China’s national security. According to Reuters, referring to the Chinese the Global Times, Beijing will not accept such conditions. At the same time, there has been no official government statement on the issue yet. The […]Next
Sources say that the air carrier is considering the Ukraine as an addition to its major markets. The largest European low-cost airlines Ryanair sizes up the Ukrainian market of air transportation, in particular, the discussions with Lviv are underway. This was announced in an interview to the forbes.net.ua by the Commercial Director of the airlines, […]Next
Microsoft founder Bill Gates has warned investors against buying the cryptocurrency Bitcoin. Bloomberg reports. “If you have less money than Ilona [Mask], you probably need to be careful. Ilon has a lot of money and he’s very advanced, so I’m not worried that his bitcoins will rise and fall chaotically,” Gates said. Gates fears that […]Next
Johnson & Johnson was one of the first companies to devote large resources to the fight against COVID-19 and vaccine development, and was one of the first to receive support from the US government. However, J&J is not currently one of the companies, who conducting clinical trials of its final vaccine candidates COVID-19 in humans. […]Next