2017 was marked by many interesting and significant events for Switzerland. They relate to science, culture, and the social life of the country, and have become important and notable for both Switzerland and for Ukraine.
1. We celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of Ukraine-Switzerland diplomatic relations in 2017. Both sides undoubtedly appreciate well-established and lasting relationships.
Cooperation with Switzerland is one of the priority geopolitical directions for Ukraine.
2. Switzerland won the prize in the ranking of the Davos Economic Forum “Global Competitiveness Index” again in 2017. Switzerland has occupied leading positions for the last 10 years.
3. Half-century has passed from the date when the first in Switzerland ATM was put into operation in Zurich. Each bank client then, in the distant 1967, could withdraw up to 200 francs in cash any time round the clock. A bank card of that time significantly differed from the one that we have today. It resembled a sort of punched card. Such a service became available throughout Switzerland in 1968.
4. 170 years have passed since the Civil War in Switzerland. According to historical sources, the main reason of this war was a religious issue, and its consequence was the modern political construction of the country — Confederation.
5. An international team of researchers under the chairmanship of Michael Krudsen, the scientist from Zurich, discovered a new species of apes. Since then, the seventh species has joined the six existing.
6. Nobel Prize 2017 for the development of cryoelectronic microscopy (chemistry) was received by Jacob Deboshe along with two other scientists from other countries.
7. Ukraine is not alone in its difficult reform trials. The Swiss voted on a nationwide referendum in September 2017 and rejected the reform project of the first level of the Swiss pension system. The last pension reform in the country was held in 1997.
8. The first national “Digital Day” in Switzerland was on the 21st of November. His goal is to outline the prospects and assess the potential of the innovative economy in the digital world. Nearly forty Swiss universities and institutes opened their doors to those who want to discover the world of a digital economy. Almost all of the country’s railway stations have become an arena for the exchange of digital experiences between industry, representatives of political structures and business circles.
9. The world celebrates the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and Switzerland is not an exception, as the reformation movement moved very quickly to Switzerland of that time and was supported by the thinking community of the country. Luther’s ideas encouraged progressive reformers in Switzerland and caused a wave of indignation at the actions of the Catholic Church and its position in society.
10. One of the streets of the Israeli city RishonLeZion was named after the Swiss Paul Grüninger, who was the chief of police of one of the Swiss cantons. In March 1938, after Anschluss, many
Jewish refugees from Austria tried to find refuge in Switzerland. But in March 1938, the Swiss government announced that “the ship was full,” and officially closed the country’s borders to the victims of Nazism. Paul Grüninger was a head of the Swiss Border Guard Service at that time. He rescued more than 3,600 Jewish refugees from Austria by issuing entry documents against the official order of the government.
Radisson Hotel Group is proud to be the world’s first hotel group to make all meetings and events across 400+ hotels in its EMEA portfolio carbon negative. For every event taking place at its participating hotels, Radisson Hotel Group will offset double the carbon footprint, to ensure that every meeting has a positive impact on […]
During trading on Monday, October 11, the price of a barrel of Brent oil rose by 2% to $ 84.01. She reached this mark for the first time since October 2018. US WTI oil rose by $ 1.62 to $ 81.3 – the highest price since 2014, according to Reuters. It is noted that Brent […]
The agreement on a single corporate tax rate of at least 15 percent was signed by 136 states, which account for more than 90 percent of world GDP. The agreement is aimed at combating tax evasion by international corporations. The initiative was also signed by countries that were initially opposed to tax reform, such as […]
The savings of Ukrainian citizens outside the banking system are estimated at $ 30-35 billion. This estimate was given by the chairman of the National Bank Kyrylo Shevchenko during the Kyiv Economic Forum. There are different estimates of the “gray” economy. We in the National Bank believe that this is up to 30% of GDP. […]
During the week, the National Bank of Ukraine bought $ 228 million on the interbank foreign exchange market. At the same time, the central bank did not sell currency on the interbank market. So the NBU continued to buy currency on the interbank market, the bank increased it compared to last week ($ 15 million) […]
The new Tesla factory in Berlin may release the first electric cars next month. CEO Elon Musk stated this. Speaking at the plant, Musk said he hoped to get the green light to begin production in the coming weeks. The last consultation on public concern about the plant ends on October 14, after which the […]
In China, two more developers are unable to repay their debts: Fantasia Holdings has been unable to repay bonds worth $ 205.7 million, and Sinic Holdings is uncertain about the repayment of $ 246 million in bonds, the BBC reports. The day before, trading in Evergrande shares was suspended on the eve of “an announcement […]
Telegram Messenger registered more than 70 million new users against the background of a large-scale failure of the social network Facebook and its services. The founder of the messenger Pavlo Durov announced this in his Telegram-channel. “Telegram’s daily growth rate is an order of magnitude higher than normal, and in one day we have received […]
In September Egyptian billionaire Naguib Sawiris said in his twitter about of his thoughts of ??buying the island somewhere in Greece or in Italy, to settle migrants and refugees there. This proposal was very popular in twitter, so Sawiris, who is one of the ten richest people in Africa, whose fortune is estimated at $ […]Next
“Svarog West Group” will direct $ 3.5 million for innovative projects in 2016. That was said by the chairman of the Corporation Andrey Gordiychuk in an interview to the AgroPolit.com. According to him, the investment “appetite” of the company significantly decreased in 2016. “But this does not apply to investments in research and development: ours are IT-solutions, […]Next
American investor Michael Burry, who predicted the financial crisis of 2008 and became the prototype of one of the characters in the movie The Big Short, made a huge bet on the fall of shares of Ilon Mask`s Tesla, Reuters writes. As of March 31, Bury’s Scion Asset Management investment fund had an option to […]Next
American company Zynga Inc. that creates popular social network games has closed a deal to buy everyone in circulation in the shares of the Turkish Peak Games. It is reported that the payment was almost equal to the funds and ordinary shares of the company. As part of the operation, Zynga received two franchises from […]Next
The invention and distribution of coronavirus vaccines have made nine people billionaires. Euronews reported this with reference to the data of non-governmental organizations. “Nine new billionaires have a combined net worth of $ 19.3 billion, which is enough to fully vaccinate all people in low-income countries 1.3 times. Meanwhile, those countries have received only 0.2 […]Next
Amazon continues to change our shopping habits at grocery stores. Following the already well-known Amazon Go stores, the company focused on providing technological solutions for larger supermarkets with a wide range. In February, Amazon launched its first full-size Amazon Go supermarket in Seattle and announced selling the technology to other companies. Amazon is now announcing […]Next
Ukrzoloto opens the jewelry store under the brand “Golden Place” in Wroclaw (Poland). “For placing the store the company chose a location in the largest shopping center in Wroclaw –“Aleja Bielany” , – says a member of the board of the “Ukrzoloto” Andrei Zhuk. Over 30 thousand jewelry brands: SoVa, Roberto Bravo, Kimberli, Golden Silver, […]Next
The head of Fiat Chrysler officially announced about the separation of Ferrari on January, 4, 2016, during the entering the Milan stock exchange. For the first time in 47 years Ferrari gained its independence, showing up as a separate from the Fiat Chrysler company. Head of Fiat Chrysler said in an interview that Ferrari had […]Next
The “Billa-Ukraine” Company was restrainted the exploitation of the ground floor of an apartment house №27 on the Chornovil street in Kyiv, where on April 27, 2016 the opening of the supermarket was planned. This decision was concluded by the Shevchenko district court on April 21. As reported the initiative group of the residents, the […]Next
During the week, foreigners bought Ukrainian government bonds by UAH 2.844 billion, increasing the share of non-residents to UAH 102.864 billion, which is 10% of the total volume of IGLBs. The press service of the Ministry of Finance reports. Ukrainian banks remain the largest owners of IGLBs with a total share of 51.17%. During the […]Next
Ukrainian startup Petcube, which successfully sells gadgets for pets, has attracted an investment in amount of $ 2.6 million from such investors as Almaz Capital and AVentures Capital, which previously invested in the start-up $ 1.1 million. Also, in the round participated legendary business incubator Y Combinator; Ukrainians got into the program of the Y […]Next
Last month, the demand for foreign currency increased and the hryvnia exchange rate adjusted. This is stated in the macroeconomic and monetary review of the National Bank in June. It is noted that for most of June 2021 in the foreign exchange market supply exceeded demand. This took place against the background of favorable external […]Next
Shares of Netflix fell after the company released a quarterly report on October 20 with only 2.2 million new subscribers. At the same time, over the last week, stock growth has resumed and since the beginning of the year, the share price of Netflix has risen by 59%. The company’s management and analysts cited the […]Next
Ukraine’s real estate market throughout 2017 experienced the impact of both economic and political crisis phenomena, under pressure from the economic downturn and lower purchasing power of the population. Despite all the negative trends, construction statistics in the period 2017 recorded positive results, which are confirmed by such an authoritative world ranking of Doing Business […]Next
Failure of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp applications could cost the company about $ 100 million, according to analysts at Fortune. In particular, the calculations were based on the company’s financial results for the second quarter of 2021, in which Facebook’s revenue was $ 29.08 billion, or $ 319.6 million per day, or $ 13.3 million […]Next
On 21st of March 2019, at 7 pm, The German-Ukrainian Chamber of Industry and Commerce for the first time will get a VIP treatment for the key men, executives and stakeholders of German and Ukrainian businesses in a ball-room of Fairmont Grand Hotel Kyiv. During this exquisite event, guests will enjoy a bright ball night […]Next